You can plan all you want, but if you spend a lot of time on the road you will eventually find yourself in a situation where you have to improvise your parking situation.
First, lets talk about how you can avoid this situation:
You’re not driving a fiat 500, RV parking spots are limited, so planning your RV parking ahead of time will save you a lot of headache and time.
Things that can help you plan: Highway Welcome Centers, Country Store Owners, RV Parks app, Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory App, rvparkfinder.net, trailerlifedirectory.com.
Now, how to approach finding RV parking when it’s unplanned.
RV Parking Ninja 101
What to look for:
- Public restrooms near by.
- Safety: Notice the safety of the community, check for signs of flooding, dead trees overhead etc.
- Don’t stand out too much. Don’t unload everything around the camper. Always keep your area as clean as possible.
- Be adaptable
- Courtesy: Know the local attitude toward RVs and campers. Have respect for the people in the area.
- How to find free Wi-Fi
- Trust your instincts
Where to look for free and last minute RV Parking:
- 24 Hour Fast Food and Grocery Stores
- Strip Malls and other large shopping areas
- Closed Big Box Stores
- Truck Stops
- Highway Rest Areas
- Motel, Hotel Parking Lots
- Apartment Complexes
If your in a real pinch: